Sunday, August 12, 2018

Reasons for Collecting Handbuilt Model Cars

Just a brief background, I have been collecting handbuilt model cars for 11 years. It was 2007 when I had an opportunity to own my very first BBR model. At that time, I follow Formula 1 and my favorite team was Ferrari. I purchased from Ebay, 2 QR BBR F1 models worth $500 each. The prices of QR BBR models back then were high. The details of these models were better than the ones that I own such as Minichamps and Kyosho. After that, I decided to focus only on handbuilts rather than diecast models.


Having a model is like owning a piece of racing history. I'm a big fan of Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna and Juan Manuel Fangio. For me, they are the greatest racers of all time. In my opinion, one of Michael Schumacher's greatest race was the 1996 Spain GP. He won that grand prix racing for Ferrari and it was his first win for the Scuderia. The manner that he dominated the field on a wet track against much faster opposition made the win more special. Currently, I have a BBR model of this F1 car and every time I see it reminds me Michael's great F1 victory.


Model cars built by master builders are works of art. I am fortunate to own models built or assembled by some of the best builders in the world including Steve Barnett, Jacques Brauer, Fred Suber, Jean Francois Alberca, among others. Similar to a painting, these artisan can turn simple kits into realistic model cars in 1:43 scale. For example, Jacques Brauer built the 1:43 Ferrari 330 P4 (see picture below) from scratch. 


Please share your reasons for collecting. Feel free to comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment